As a civilian, Madoka has gentle blue eyes and long, layered purple hair with a dark magenta ribbon on each side of her head.
Normally, Madoka wears a pearl blue long-sleeved blouse with indigo straps on the wrist and an indigo dress is worn over it. Around her waist is a dark indigo belt with a crescent moon buckle and on her collar of her shirt is a dark magenta ribbon with the same crescent moon brooch. She also wears strappy dark indigo Mary-Janes worn with grey tube socks. In the summer, she wears a different blouse that has shorter sleeves. For winter, she wears a similar dress but the ribbon is on her hip. She now wears a light grey turtleneck, along with a pair of dark purple boots and light grey tights. She would sometimes also wear a gray caplet with a dark magenta ribbon in the front.
As an adult, Madoka's hair is shorter and without ribbons, tying part of it with a single red bow. She is shown in a dark blue uniform with a white shirt, black heels, and an ID tag around her neck.
As Cure Selene, her eyes are lighter, while her hair thickens and turns lilac. A pair of forelocks are held in a gold band. She wears a white frilly headband with blue and purple bows that have a blue sphere with a crescent moon. Her choker is thick and purple with a light blue star. Her dress has white puffy sleeves and frills in some places. The bodice is deep purple with a white southern cross design in front and her Star Color Pendant on top. Beneath the bodice is a white layer matching her sleeves with her pouch on the left. The skirt is purple with longer tips at each pleat with a yellow star at each end. The back is slightly longer. Under it is a shorter purple skirt and a pale blue translucent layer. On her back is a light blue ribbon. Her boots are white and purple with pale blue snowflake-like designs on top. Her accessories include white wristbands with a ruffle and crescent moon earrings.
In her Twinkle Style, her hair grows longer and decorated with stars. Her headband is replaced by a tiara, and her bows are slightly bigger. The gold bands around her forelocks are now white. Her dress is slightly bigger with her sleeves replaced with a light blue wrap and wings added to her pendant. The white layer around the waist is now lined with yellow and flares out slightly. Under the skirt is a glittery light blue layer followed by a longer light purple layer. Her wristbands now reach her upper arms and crescent moons appear on her boots.
As Capricorn Cure Selene, her hair grows longer and wavier with a magenta ombre decorated with matching hearts. Her ribbons are magenta and she now has light magenta goat horns. The top of her dress, back bow, and top layer of her skirt are pale pink. The top part is also longer with a translucent layer that matches its length. The skirt inside is shorter with a light purple layer that opens in front with white layers inside it and decorated with a light pink ribbon. Her earrings are also heart-shaped.
As Sagittarius Cure Selene, her hair is tied in a ponytail with an indigo ombre. The bodice is now white with a purple diamond in front with the layer around the waist matching it in color. The top part of the skirt is pale purple with magenta stars hanging on each end. Underneath is a yellow translucent layer that gets longer toward the back and the purple skirt is nearly floor-length. She holds a gold and purple bow with an arrow with a gold star-shaped tip and yellow feathers at the end.
Madoka is a third-year student who tries her best to be ladylike. She is from a family with a storied history; her father works in the government while her mother is a famous pianist. She, herself, holds national championship titles in piano, archery, flower arranging, and tea ceremonies seamlessly, and gets excellent grades in academics. As the student council president, she's known as "The Moon of Mihoshi Town". According to AI's evaluations, she is mostly a composed leader type who is befitting for issuing orders. Madoka initially forces herself to be perfect in her talents thanks to her father's high expectations, which resulted in her stressing out easily, but she learns to cope with it and to lower her standards thanks to her friends. She can also be indecisive, but soon learns how to make her own choices.
- Kaguya Fuyuki - Madoka often works hard and strives for excellence due to being under extreme pressure of meeting her father's rather high expectations. Due to this, she's often shown to be tense around him, going as far as reciting every single word on her script in Abraham's movie. She would often feel slightly hesitant and guilty about hiding Fuwa and her being a Pretty Cure from him. However, she later musters up the confidence to tell him assertively about what she really wants in her life.
- Amamiya Elena - Madoka is classmates with Elena, but they rarely interacted until they became Pretty Cure. She appreciates Elena being a responsible big sister to her siblings.
- Hagoromo Lala - Although originally suspicious of Lala being an alien, Madoka soon befriends Lala who she meets through Hikaru. In episode 29, Madoka understands Lala's struggle to impress her family, as she also has to deal with her father's pressure.
Kaguya (香久矢?) - Ka (香?) comes from the kanji, 香り, which means "fragrance" , Gu (久?) means "eternity" or "forever" , while Ya (矢?) means "arrow" which eludes to Madoka's great skill at archery. "Princess Kaguya", the mystical moon princess, is also a character in the Japanese folklore narrative The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, and Madoka's last name is most likely a reference to her.
Cure Selene is a noun and means "the Greek Titan of the moon".
When Hikaru mistakes Madoka's fan club for Elena's, she ends up having a chat with her and Lala. As the pair leave, she notices Lala's antennae, as well as Fuwa flying out of Hikaru's bag. On the way to school one day, she again spots Prunce this time and gets distracted due to having seen proof that aliens do exist.
At lunch, she confronts Hikaru and Elena, but Hikaru rapidly moves to hide the Twinkle Book and Fuwa. Madoka does her very best to see if Hikaru is hiding anything, but she is only able to see the Twinkle Book, as Fuwa has gone inside of it. Elena and Hikaru rapidly make a run for it. However, their attempt to hide Fuwa is quickly ruined when Fuwa pops out of the Twinkle Book to say goodbye to Madoka. Madoka tells Hikaru and Elena that as the daughter of a government official concerned with aliens, she is obligated to tell her father about Fuwa. Hikaru tells Madoka that if she did that, Lala and Prunce would be forced to leave Earth. Then, Fuwa flies up to Madoka and cuddles against her chest. Because of this, Madoka is unsure of what to do.
Being Cure Selene
The next day, she follows Hikaru and is shocked to find that they have a rocket. Prunce tries to explain that they’re on Earth for an important reason, but Madoka won’t hear any of it and says that she will not keep their existence a secret, as she cannot oppose her father. Fuwa then offers Madoka an onigiri, shocking Prunce. Hikaru runs up to Madoka and begs her not to tell anybody. She tells Madoka that she understands that her father doesn’t like aliens, but she asks if Madoka thinks that Fuwa is a bad alien.
The group is suddenly interrupted by a troop of Nottorei led by Tenjo. Elena explains to Madoka that they are the Notraiders, who are the bad aliens. As Madoka is assigned to hide with Fuwa, Hikaru, Lala, and Elena transform to fight. As they begin to fight, Prunce explains to Madoka that the three girls are Pretty Cure.
As the trio fight, Madoka accidentally steps on a stick, alerting Tenjo to her presence. Tenjo surrounds Madoka and Fuwa with Nottorei and demands that Madoka hands Fuwa over. Prunce flies in and distracts the Nottorei, giving Madoka the chance to run away with Fuwa. The Nottorei pursue them, but after meeting Fuwa and seeing her kindness, Madoka is determined to protect her. This determination allows Fuwa to summon a Star Color Pen and Star Color Pendant for Madoka.
Madoka is hesitant to become a Pretty Cure, so the Nottorei try to get the Star Color Pendant before Madoka can. However, Cure Star holds them off with a star shield. Madoka reaches for the pendant and pen. However, she remembers Fuyuki saying that the Kaguya family doesn’t keep secrets, so she draws her hand away. Then, Fuwa looks up at her, and Madoka decides to become a Pretty Cure in order to protect Fuwa. She then transforms into the Pretty Cure of the Moon, Cure Selene.
Tenjo is enraged to see that there’s another Pretty Cure. She quickly regains her composure, though, and she has her Nottorei run in an extremely fast circle around Cure Selene. This creates a huge dust storm, which Tenjo believes will make it harder for Selene to dodge the Nottorei's attacks. However, Cure Selene is able to dodge them anyway. She jumps into the air out of the dust storm and uses her new attack, Selene Arrow, to defeat the Nottorei.
Friendship and Sportsmanship
Madoka, wanting to make her father proud, partakes in the national archery girls tournament. There, she is put up against Nasu Yumika, who is also an aspiring archer. However, Yumika clashes with her in terms of what she thinks about friends, so Madoka herself starts having doubts and barely passes one of the rounds. But after having lunch with her friends who also give her an accessory as a good luck charm, she realizes the importance of friendship. After praising Yumika, and saving her from Aiwarn, Madoka focuses on competing in archery, and wins the tournament. She also forms a good rivalry with Yumika after the competition.
Taking Her First Step
After telling her father to stop going after Lala, Madoka reflected on what she wants to do in her future now that she is close to attending high school. She confronts her father about Lala after dinner, but the subject is quickly switched to her studying abroad which she doesn't like the idea of.
At the park with Hikaru and the others to eat donuts, she chats to Elena, who points out that she has many different versions of herself, with her smile shining the brightest when she's with her friends. But just as they finish chatting, Garuouga appears, starting a battle between himself and the Cures. However, the other four Cures are quickly overpowered, leaving Selene to go one on one with Garuouga to protect Fuwa. During the battle, Selene comes to the conclusion about what she wishes to do in the future, using that power to unlock her Twinkle Imagination and overpower Garuouga.
That night, she once again confronts her father, clearly stating that she will no longer do what her father says and will stay in Mihoshi Town so she can stand by her friend's sides. She also vaguely declines his orders about even studying abroad ever, saying she'd think about it.
In episode 49, she has taken over her father’s previous job and operates the project of first national manned rocket in Japan. She then watches the rocket carrying Hikaru launching into space.
"Light up the night sky! With the secretive moonlight! Cure Selene!"
Yozora ni Kagayaku! Shinpi no Tsukiakari! Kyua Serēne!
Cure Selene (キュアセレーネ?) is the Pretty Cure alter ego of Madoka. In order to transform, she needs the Star Color Pendant and her Star Color Pen. During the battles, Selene is shown to have enhanced senses and precision, being able to dodge the Nottorei within the storm they conjured and prefers to use long-ranged attacks to fight the enemy by firing arrows. These arrows can be duplicated after being shot and fired in the air to create a rain of arrows. She has, however, demonstrated numerous times that she can go on the offensive and fight up close when needed.
- Color Charge!: Madoka's pendant top pops up, allowing Madoka to insert her Star Color Pen. She shouts the phrase as her two hair ribbons disappear and she draws a crescent moon. Madoka then rides on the crescent moon as she touches the center of the pendant with the pen and starts to sing. As she flies through the air, she starts to draw and once she gets off the crescent moon, she catches the line she draws and it turns into a bow and arrow. She then fires the bow into the sky, with the light splitting into four beams that wrap around her wrists and legs, forming her cuffs and boots respectively. After she touches the center again, she then draws on the other parts of her outfit, starting with the puffy sleeves, the bodice, and then the skirt and back ribbon. After that, she draws on her choker, earrings, and headband as her hair grows longer and lighter. She presses her pen to her pendant one last time as the cord disappears and attaches to her dress. She then draws the white star-like design on her bodice before the pen flies into the pouch. She stops singing and introduces herself before striking a pose.
- Selene Arrow (セレーネアロー?): Using the Star Color Pendant, Selene is able to perform this attack.
- Capricorn Selene Arrow (やぎ座セレーネアロー?): Using the Star Color Pendant and the Capricorn Star Princess Color Pen, Selene is able to perform an upgraded version of this attack.
- Sagittarius Selene Arrow (いて座セレーネアロー?): Using the Star Color Pendant and the Sagittarius Star Color Pen, Selene is able to perform an upgraded version of this attack.
- Aquarius Selene Arrow (みずがめ座セレーネアロー ?): Using the Star Color Pendant and the Aquarius Star Color Pen, Selene is able to preform an upgraded version of this attack.
- Southern Cross Shot (サザンクロスショット?): An attack Selene performs alongside Cure Star, Cure Milky and Cure Soleil. To perform it, she needs the Twinkle Stick.
- Star Twinkle Imagination (スタートゥインクルイマジネーション?): An attack Selene performs alongside Cure Star, Cure Milky, Cure Soleil and Cure Cosmo. To perform it, she needs Unicorn Fuwa and her Twinkle Style.
Madoka's voice actor, Komatsu Mikako has participated in several image songs for the character she voices. Many of them include duets with Naruse Eimi, who voices Hoshina Hikaru, Kohara Konomi, who voices Hagoromo Lala, Yasuno Kiyono, who voices Amamiya Elena, and Uesaka Sumire, who voices Yuni.
- Color Charge! (Along with Naruse Eimi, Kohara Konomi, Yasuno Kiyono and Uesaka Sumire)
- Sparkle☆彡Star☆Twinkle Pretty Cure (5 PRECURE Ver.) (Along with Naruse Eimi, Kohara Konomi, Yasuno Kiyono and Uesaka Sumire)
- Twinkle Stars (Along with Naruse Eimi, Kohara Konomi, Yasuno Kiyono and Uesaka Sumire)
- Madoka's birthday is on November 23rd, making her star sign Sagittarius. Relating to Star☆Twinkle's outer space motif, Madoka's birthday happens to fall on the anniversary of the publication of astronomer Edwin Hubble’s discovery that the Andromeda Galaxy (formerly the Andromeda Nebula) is a galaxy outside the Milky Way.
- Madoka’s given name is shared with Akimoto Madoka from Yes! Pretty Cure 5 and Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo!, and is a homophone for the surname of Madoka Aguri from Doki Doki! Pretty Cure.
- She also shares her surname with Kaguya, a movie character from Healin' Good♥Pretty Cure: Yume no Machi de Kyun! tto GoGo! Daihenshin!!.
- She is highly fascinated by horror movies.
- According to the January 2020 special issue of Animage, primarily focusing on Star☆Twinkle Pretty Cure, series composition Murayama Isao was the one who came up with the name "Madoka," and that it would be written with the kanji "円" which indicates a circle, or full moon in this context.
- Main Page: Kaguya Madoka/Image Gallery
|V • E Star☆Twinkle Pretty Cure characters|
|Cures||Hoshina Hikaru/Cure Star • Hagoromo Lala/Cure Milky • Amamiya Elena/Cure Soleil • Kaguya Madoka/Cure Selene • Yuni/Cure Cosmo|
|Mascots||Fuwa • Prunce|
|Villains||Notraiders • Darknest • Kappard • Tenjo • Garuouga • Aiwarn • Nottorei • Bakenyan|
|Others||Sorami Ryoutarou • Hoshina Harukichi • Hoshina Youko • Hoshina Terumi • Hoshina Youichi • Amamiya Kaede • Carlos • Amamiya Siblings • Kaguya Fuyuki • Kaguya Mitsuka • Star Princesses • Himenojou Sakurako • Karube Tatsunori • Nasu Yumika • Oikawa Yumeo • Abraham • Olyfio • Yeti • Yanyan • Toppa • Hakkenyan|
|Movie only||UMA • Mary Ann • Alien Hunters|