Kaido Minami (海藤みなみ Kaidō Minami?) is one of the four main Cures in the series Go! Princess Pretty Cure. She is a 14 year old girl and has a strong sense of responsibility as well as caring for others like an older sister.
Minami's alter ego is Cure Mermaid (キュアマーメイド Kyua Māmeido?), the Princess of the Sea.
Minami has sharp blue eyes and long turquoise hair with a portion of it braided across her head and worn over the left shoulder. Casually she wears a pale blue blouse with a ruffled lilac ribbon around the neck, paired with a blue pencil skirt and blue heels with a lilac bow on the foot. In the movie, she wore a pale blue shirt with a pale indigo ribbon around her neck paired with a folded blue and red plaid skirt, dark navy tights, and dark blue shoes. During summer, she wears a blue dress with a lighter blue top over it and white sandals. For winter she wears a light purple buttoned top with a pearl necklace, a long blue skirt, gray stockings, and blue heels.
As Cure Mermaid, her eyes brighten and her hair grows into a curled ocean blue ponytail that has a blue ombre further down. Her bangs are mostly braided to the side with purple streaks, and she has four curled strands. She wears a gold tiara with a pink seashell adorned by a blue gem and a pale blue ribbon. Her pearl earrings have shells hanging from them. Her top is blue, white, and azure with a white and light blue collar held by pink pearls around the neck and in the middle, held by a gold sphere. Her skirt is light blue with pale pink ribbons circling it and a longer dark blue layer with a belt of pale pink pearls. Flowing from the back are two blue ribbons resembling fins. She also wears white arm warmers that extend past her elbows and white and blue knee-length boots.
In Mode Elegant, Mermaid's skirt becomes longer and reaches the floor, with a large ruffle swirling around it, lined in blue and white.
In Ice mode, the collar top gets an extra layer with light pink diamonds lining the top. The gold sphere is now a snowflake and the pearls in the front also change into blue diamonds. Her skirt is now ice blue with the ruffles around it turning lighter as well. The ruffles now have a chain of pale blue and indigo diamonds on them with a light translucent ruffle attached.
In Bubble mode, her top now has translucent bubble sleeves and her collar is higher. The brooch in the front is now a bubble with light blue pearls going down the top. Her earrings are now similarly shaped. Her skirt is now blue with a turquoise gradient, with a light blue ruffle that has a dark blue gradient and bubbles all over it at the bottom.
In Sango mode, her dress is now full, white and floor-length. The top has three ruffles for sleeves and a light blue bow with a dark blue brooch bordered by a coral branch. On her waist is a white bow with a gold sphere in the middle of it. The skirt is thin with pale blue ribbons circling the top layer and pale blue and white bows with spheres matching the brooch on it as well. Underneath are pale blue and light layers, with the last one decorated with bubble-like pearls. Her hair grows longer with a softer color and light pink bubbles decorating it. Her tiara changes to matches the others, with a pearl blue ribbon on the right. She now wears a pearly choker with blue gems and her arm warmers remaining mostly the same. In Royal form the gown gains a massive, pale blue lace ribbon on the back.
In Grand Princess mode, her hair grows longer and her tiara is more ornate. Her choker is now white with a matching bow on it with a blue pearl in the middle. She wears a pale yellow dress with a golden gradient to the bottom of the skirt. Draped around her shoulders is a gold cape with fluffy white lining on the collar. In the middle is a large blue bow with a gold sphere in the center and a layered cravat. Her skirt has a ruffle on each side.
In Halloween mode, Mermaid now wears a full dress with a pale yellow and white top that exposes her collarbone with the pearl accents on the top turning white. On her waist is a yellow flower with two light blue ribbons flowing from it. Her arm warmers are slightly looser and now have an additional ruffle. Her tiara is replaced with three yellow flowers and a thin green vine sticking out.
As an adult shown in episode 50, she succeeded in becoming a marine biologist and wears a white lab coat. Her hair is shown worn in a long braid.
Minami is a sophomore at Noble Academy who is nicknamed as the "Academy's Princess". She has a strong sense of responsibility who can sometimes be strict as well but cares for others like a caring older sister. She dreams of becoming a respectable person who can be useful to others. In episode 9, it is revealed that she is afraid of ghosts.
- Haruno Haruka - At first, she told Haruka off when she was late to the Welcome Ceremony to reflect on her actions. After that, Haruka asked her to teach her ballet and she agreed. They spent some time together when training. When Haruka sprained her ankle, Minami helped her and told her how she's not perfect. When she saw Haruka transforming and having problems with a Zetsuborg, she tried to protect Haruka, which resulted in her becoming a Pretty Cure. They then became good friends.
- Amanogawa Kirara - Kirara is the first person to call her "Minamin" without adding -san or -sama like the other students, even though Kirara is still not very close with Minami, they do share a friendly relationship.
- Kaido Wataru - Minami's older brother.
- Tina - Her best friend. She really cares a lot about Minami. When she goes to the resort, they swim together in the sea. During a battle against a Zetsuborg, Tina took a hit for Cure Mermaid that nearly killed her. Mermaid was hoping that Tina would pull through and the Miracle Bubble Dress Up Key appears, healing her and Tina's wounds.
- Akagi Towa - In episode 25, Towa and Minami started to form a deeper friendship when Minami comes to Towa's aid when she has a nightmare because of her fear of the darkness and the resurfacing of her memories as Twilight. Minami helps her to try and overcome that fear and that she should depend on her friends and the rest of the team. When Shut ambushes the Cures' firework celebration, he sees Towa and recognizes her as Twilight and tries to get rid of her when Minami defends her and tells Shut that she is now Akagi Towa. She precedes to help Cure Scarlet in defeating the Zetsuborg.
- Ijuin Kimimaro - Minami has known Kimimaro since their childhood. Despite this, she didn't let him get away with ending her friendship with Haruka. After rescuing Kimimaro from Stop & Freeze, she accepted his apology before he departed for England.
- Kitakaze Asuka - Both Minami and Asuka share a love for the ocean, and they befriend each other quickly. Also, Asuka is the person who has actually helped Minami to reconsider her dream and become a marine biologist.
Transforming into Cure Mermaid for the First Time
While looking over the sea one day, Minami discovers a Dress Up Key that had been washed up on to the shore. When Haruka sees Minami dancing ballet, she becomes inspired and hastily asks her to teach her how to do it. She helps her through the basic steps and tries to makes her more flexible. When Haruka sprains her ankle after trying to perform a new step, Minami comes to her aid and bandages it. Haruka is surprised to find out that Minami is not as perfect as she first thought, and she even thanks Haruka for asking her to teach ballet because no one else had the confidence to do so. When a Zetsuborg attacks, she follows Haruka and witnesses her transforming into Cure Flora. When Flora damages her ankle again after kicking the Zetsuborg, she is about to be attacked before Minami pushes her out of the way. When Flora takes a hit for her, Minami tells Close that it is her duty to protect the students of the academy. Her Dress Up Key reacts to her determination to help others and she receives her Princess Perfume, allowing her to transform into Cure Mermaid. She was able to fight the Zetsuborg off before purifying it with Mermaid Ripple.
A few years after the events of the season, Minami is an adult and is now working as a marine vet.
"Princess of the crystal clear seas! Cure Mermaid!"
Sumiwataru umi no purinsesu! Kyua Māmeido!
Cure Mermaid (キュアマーメイド Kyua Māmeido?) is the Pretty Cure alter ego of Minami. She controls the power of water and transforms with the phrase, "Pretty Cure, Princess Engage!". Her main attack is Mermaid Ripple, which she can only perform while in her Mode Elegant.
- Mermaid Ripple (マーメイドリップル Māmeido Rippuru?) is Cure Mermaid's main attack, that can only be used when she is in her Mode Elegant. It appeared in episode 2.
- Trinity Lumiere (トリニティリュミエール Toriniti Ryumiēru?) is Cure Mermaid's group attack that she performs with Cure Flora and Cure Twinkle, where they need the Crystal Princess Rod and the Elegant Dress Up Keys. It made its debut in episode 11.
- Frozen Ripple (フローズンリップル Furōzun Rippuru?) is Cure Mermaid's main attack, performed with the Crystal Princess Rod and the Ice Dress Up Key.
- Bubble Ripple (バブルリップル Baburu Rippuru?) is Cure Mermaid's main attack, performed with the Crystal Princess Rod and the Miracle Bubble Dress Up Key.
- Trinity Explosion (トリニティーエクスプロジオン Torinitī Ekusupurojion?) is Cure Mermaid's second group attack that she performs with Cure Flora and Cure Twinkle, where they need the Crystal Princess Rod and the Miracle Dress Up Keys. It was first seen in episode 18.
- Éclat Espoir (エクラエスポワール Ekura Esupowāru?) is Cure Mermaid's third group attack that she performs with Cure Flora, Cure Twinkle and Cure Scarlet, where she needs the Music Princess Palace and her Premium Sango Dress Up Key.
- Grand Printemps (グランプランタン Guran Purantan?) is Cure Mermaid's fourth group attack that she performs with Cure Flora, Cure Twinkle and Cure Scarlet, where she needs the Music Princess Palace and the Royal Key.
- Coral Maelstrom (コーラルメイルシュトロム Kōraru Meirushutoromu?) is Cure Mermaid's main attack that she performs with the Music Princess Palace and her Premium Sango Dress Up Key.
- Grand Libération (グランリベラシオン Guran Riberashion?) is Cure Mermaid's fifth group attack that she performs with Cure Flora, Cure Twinkle and Cure Scarlet, where she needs to be in her Grand Princess form.
- Halloween Eclair (ハロウィンエクレール Harou~in Ekurēru?) is Cure Mermaid's sixth group attack that she performs with Cure Flora, Cure Twinkle and Cure Scarlet, where she needs to be in her Mode Elegant Halloween form.
Minami (みなみ?) means 'south'. But it can also be read as "beautiful wave".
Cure Mermaid means the legendary aquatic creature with the upper body of a human and the tail of a fish.
Minami's voice actor, Asano Masumi, has participated in several image songs for the character she voices. Many of them include duets with Shimamura Yu, who voices Haruno Haruka, Yamamura Hibiku, who voices Amanogawa Kirara, and Sawashiro Miyuki, who voices Akagi Towa.
- Strongly, Gently, Beautifully. (Along with Shimamura Yu, Yamamura Hibiku and Sawashiro Miyuki)
- Conditions of Being a Princess (Along with Shimamura Yu, Yamamura Hibiku and Sawashiro Miyuki)
- Joyful! Pretty Cure Christmas (Along with Shimamura Yu, Yamamura Hibiku and Sawashiro Miyuki)
- Minami's birthday is July 20. Hence, her zodiac is Cancer.
- Her birthday occured on a Japanese national holiday, "Ocean Day" (海の日) of 2015.
- Minami shares her surname with Kaidou Yuya from Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!.
- Minami is the oldest in the Go! Princess Precure team, as she is the only member to be 14, while Haruka, Kirara and Towa are 13.
- Minami is the third Cure who's afraid of ghosts. Followed by Natsuki Rin and Midorikawa Nao.
- Main page: Kaido Minami/Image Gallery
|V • T • EGo! Princess Pretty Cure characters|
|Cures||Haruno Haruka/Cure Flora • Kaido Minami/Cure Mermaid • Amanogawa Kirara/Cure Twinkle • Akagi Towa/Cure Scarlet • Past Princess Pretty Cure|
|Mascots||Pafu • Aroma • Miss Shamour • Kuroro|
|Villains||Dyspear • Twilight • Close • Shut • Lock • Stop & Freeze • Zetsuborg|
|Others||Prince Kanata • Nanase Yui • Haruno Moe • Haruno Ibuki • Kisaragi Reiko • Azuma Seira • Nishimine Ayaka • Shirogane-san • Amanogawa Stella • Takamagahara Ken • Bauanne Baurollo • Aihara Yuuki • Imagawa Shuu • Koshiba Naoto • Ichijo Ranko • Tachi Kyoko • Haruno Momoka • Tina • Mochizuki Yume • Kaido Wataru • Komori Hanae • Kano Sayaka • Kurita Mai • Komaki Noriko • Hirano Kenta • Furuya Riko • Kitakaze Asuka • Kaido Tsukasa • Kaido Masumi • Ijuin Kimimaro • Nishikido-san • Akehoshi Karin|
|Movie only||Pumplulu Princess • Warp • Refi • Night Pumpkin • King Pumpkin • Queen Pumpkin|