The series' themes are sweets, animals and creativity. The Cures manage a patissierie.
The trademark for this series was filed on October 25, 2016 . It was confirmed on November 28th when Toei and Asahi set up the websites.
- Synopsis taken from the Toei Animation website for KiraKira☆Pretty Cure A La Mode.
A cute patissière from the "KIRAKIRA Patisserie" transforms into a "Pretty Cure"!?
The story about Cure Whip and the others protecting sweets filled with thoughts is about to begin!
I'm Usami Ichika! I'm a second grade middle school student who just loves, loves, loves sweets!
When my mother comes back from working abroad, I challenged myself to make a shortcake♪ ... However it was...
"I'm so hungry peko~~~~!"
...interrupted by a fairy named "Pekorin" who fell from the sky!! My gosh~~ it was so surprising!! Hang on, this can't be right! Cake thieves have been making cream explosions... there have been a lot of mysterious incidents in town.......! And the culprit is another strange monster!? They're looking for the energy that resides in sweets called "Kirakiraru", and to do that, they change all of the sweets to a disgusting black color!!
Of course, I won't let this happen to my shortcake. Because, it'll be so important for me to hear my mother say "I love it".... So here's Usami Ichika special! But when I complete my rabbit shortcake-
"I become a legendary Pretty Cure patissière~~~ !?"
Well, if that is the case! Usami Ichika is now "Cure Whip" who will protect the sweets... filled with all of those thoughts!!!
- Usami Ichika (宇佐美いちか?) is a cheerful second year middle school student who loves sweets. When she gets excited or happy, she jumps around like a "rabbit". Despite failing all the time, Ichika still has confidence in sweet decorating. She has a skill for being able to make animal sweets. As Cure Whip (キュアホイップ?), she is based off shortcakes and rabbits.
- Arisugawa Himari (有栖川ひまり?) is a hard-working second year middle school student. She is known to be as fast and light as a "squirrel". Despite being shy, no one can stop her when she talks about her favorite sweets. As the Sweets Doctor, Himari knows everything about sweets and how they affect your body. As Cure Custard (キュアカスタード?), she is based off pudding and squirrels.
- Tategami Aoi (立神あおい?) is an enthusiastic second year middle school student who loves freedom. She is as brave and free like a "lion". Due to her love for singing, she is the vocalist of the rock band Wild Azur. When it comes to making sweets, Aoi is in charge of parts that make use of her muscular strength and support one's shape. As Cure Gelato (キュアジェラート?), she is based off ice cream and lions.
- Kotozume Yukari (琴爪ゆかり?) is a beautiful and noble second year high school student. She is rather selfish and above everyone else like a "cat". When she is bored, she'll use her skills to perform tasks but after meeting Ichika, she starts to enjoy everyday a lot more. As Cure Macaron (キュアマカロン?), she is based off macarons and cats.
- Kenjou Akira (剣城あきら?) is a gentle boyish second year high school student. She'll always be by your side and has a strong sense of justice like a "dog". She knows her way around places which makes her a good person to rely on. Akira has a sickly younger sister who she tends to give chocolate to as a way of cheering her up. As Cure Chocolat (キュアショコラ?), she is based off chocolate and dogs.
- Kirahoshi Ciel (キラ星 シエル?) is a genius patisserie who came from France, and is also a fairy named Kirarin (キラリン?) who resided in Ichigo Mountain. Following her dream of becoming a Pretty Cure, she likes making everyone happy with her sweets, appearing in a flap like a "pegasus". As Cure Parfait (キュアパルフェ Kyua Parufe?), she is based off parfaits and pegasi.
- Pekorin (ペコリン?) is a chubby fairy who loves sweets. She is rather spoiled and always seems to be hungry. Depending on her moods, her ears change color and she can feel the scent of energy called "Kirakiraru" which resides in sweets. She has long aspired to meet the legendary Patisserie Pretty Cure, so she often tries to face off with the enemy, only to get either blown away or hurt. She is good at imitating cats and dogs and ends her sentences with "~peko".
- Chourou (長老?) is a wise old fairy who lives on Ichigo Mountain. In order to please everyone, he practices making sweets with his disciples. However, after being caught in a cream explosion, his body takes the appearance of a ghost. He often asks the Cures to protect the sweets from those who aim to steal the Kirakiraru.
- The Kirakiraru Thieves (キラキラルを奪う存在 Kirakiraru wo Ubau Sonzai?) are a group of evil and mischievous fairies. Their main goal is to steal the Kirakiraru found in the world's sweets to become powerful. They wear a red belt with a buckle that has a black star on it. Using said belt's dark energy, they can drain the Kirakiraru from sweets or desserts, which turn the sweets black.
- Julio (ジュリオ Jurio?) is a mysterious masked villain. He was the one who brainwashed the Kirakiraru Thieves using red belts. He possessed a staff that he used to steal people's Kirakiraru for his experiments. He is revealed to actually be Kirarin's twin brother Pikario, and he sacrifices himself so Ciel could complete the parfait that eventually became her Animal Sweet.
- The haughty Bibury (ビブリー Biburī?) is another villain, dressed in a gothic lolita style. She is able to brainwash people into believing and spreading rumours about others. She received a doll named Iru (いる?) from Noir, which is her treasured item. She is able to put stolen Kirakiraru into Iru and turn her into a monster to fight the Cures.
- Elisio (エリシオ Erishio?) appears together with Grave after Julio and Bibury have been defeated. He uses cards to attack or turn objects into monsters.
- Grave (グレイブ Gureibu?) appears at the same time as Elisio. He rides a big showy car and commands a group of clay puppets to help him.
- Diable (ディアブル Diaburu?) is a dog/wolf-like monster who served Noir in the past, but was severely wounded in the battle against Lumière. He asks Noir to let him help once more against the new generation of Cures.
- Noir (ノワール Nowāru?) is the main antagonist of the series and corrupted all the other villains over the course of the last hundred years.
- Usami Genichirou (宇佐美源一郎?) is Ichika's father who works at a karate dojo. He can easily tell if a girl is feeling troubled by just looking at them.
- Usami Satomi (宇佐美さとみ?) is Ichika's mother who travels to small villages all over the world as a doctor. She often makes sweets with Ichika.
- Kenjou Miku (剣城みく?) is Akira's little sister. She is sickly and spends a lot of time in a hospital.
- Izumi Wataru (和泉わたる?) is Ichika's classmate. He is very good at sports.
- Nakano Hiroki (中野ひろき?) is another one of Ichika's classmates. He is known to be quite the lively mood maker.
- Kagurazaka Risa (神楽坂りさ?) is one of Ichika's classmates. She is quite the cheerful fan girl.
- Mitsuoka Junko (光岡じゅんこ?) is a girl in Ichika's class. She is rather easy going and laid back.
- Sonobe Kei (園部けい?) is the bassist for Aoi's band Wild Azur.
- Yokogawa Ryuuta (横川りゅうた?) is the guitarist for Aoi's band Wild Azur.
- Asaka Sara (浅香さら?) is the drummer for Aoi's band Wild Azur.
- Misaki Ayane (岬あやね?) is a rock singer whom Aoi admires and helped inspire her to become a rock singer herself.
- Mizushima Mitsuyoshi (水嶌みつよし?) is Aoi's butler who initially objected her dream to become a tock singer, but deeply cares for her.
- Sweets Pact (スイーツパクト Suītsu Pakuto?) - The transformation device. To use it, the girls need their respective transformation Animal Sweets and they need to yell the phrase "Cure La Mode・Decoration!".
- Animal Sweets (アニマルスイーツ Animaru Suītsu?) - A collectable and transformation item.
- Candy Rod (キャンディロッド Kyandi Roddo?) - The weapon that the Cures gain to aid them in their battles.
- Kirakiraru (キラキラル Kirakiraru?) - A source of energy that resides in sweets. It is the Pretty Cure's source of power that comes in a form of sparkling stars. If you eat sweets that the Kirakiraru reside in, you will be happy and full of energy. One day, someone wants to use the power of the Kirakiraru so that person decides to steal it in front of everyone.
- Rainbow Ribbon (レインボーリボン Reinbō Ribon?) - The weapon Cure Parfait uses to defeat the enemies.
- Kirakiraru Creamer (キラキラル クリーマー Kirakiraru Kurīmā?) - The weapon that the six Cures gain after collecting the six Crystal Animals.
- Pretty Cure (プリキュア?) - They are the legendary patissieres who can freely use the power of Kirakiraru. There is a legend that says these legendary patissieres are able to make sweets to make everyone smile.
- Ichigozaka (いちご坂 Ichigozaka?) - The town that the Cures live in.
- KIRAKIRA Patisserie (キラキラパティスリー Kirakira Patisurī?) - The cafe that the Cures work at. Often shortened to "KiraPati".
- Ichigoyama (いちご山 Ichigoyama?) - The mystical forest on a mountain near Ichigozaka.
- KiraKira☆Pretty Cure A La Mode marks the tenth anniversary of Yes! Pretty Cure 5 who also has Miyamoto Kanako as its ending theme singer. The French language is also a common element in the series.
- In KiraKira☆Pretty Cure A La Mode the Cures announce what they represent before the actual transformation as opposed to during their introductory speech after transforming.
- Most episodes end with a segment showing viewers how to make the sweet featured in the episode. The ones for the Cures' Animal Sweets last one minute long, while the others are usually shown in a quick montage with Add The Berry To My Big Love playing in the background.
- From episode 7 onward, each episode begins with Ichika introducing herself to the audience and explaining how she and her friends became Pretty Cures.
- This trend is also carried onto many of the franchise's subsequent seasons.
- KiraKira☆Pretty Cure A La Mode is the first series to not feature a specific "monster of the day" that the Cures have to battle. Instead they fight Noir's different servants.
- It should be noted that Grave and Elisio would summon their own monsters, "Nendo Monsters" and "Card Monsters" respectively.
- During this season, an official Instagram account was created, which posted pictures and videos of the sweets made throughout the season as well as preview pictures of the then-upcoming episodes.
- The KiraKira☆Pretty Cure A La Mode universe appears to be located in the same universe as No Magic World and Magic World from Mahou Tsukai Pretty Cure!, which is confirmed by its predecessor's last episode and its movie.
- Similar to its predecessor, the Pretty Cure in this season are known as Legendary Patissieres instead of Legendary Warriors.
- KiraKira☆Pretty Cure A La Mode is the last season where the Cures switch to summer clothes.
- This was the first seasons to get a simuldub, a dub that airs along with the series' first run in Japan.
- This is the first and by far the only season to exclude physical combat for its featured Cures.
- The reason that all Kirakira Cures have a lot of volume in elements of their designs, namely their outfits and hair, is to make them have more presence in a 16:9 landscape environment.
Please refer to the main page KiraKira☆Pretty Cure A La Mode Merchandise for more information.